Meat Skip is a trick that allows the player to skip capturing the meat at the top of the Meat Plateau in the Luncheon Kingdom that is normally required to reach the giant stew pot atop the volcano. Instead, the player can climb up the side of the volcano and clip into the pot from the bottom. The easiest method for this uses a Goomba capture, but there is also a harder method exclusive to two-player mode that does not require any captures.
Methods[edit | edit source]
Goomba method[edit | edit source]
It is possible for the player to climb the side of the volcano as a Goomba or stack of Goombas, and if using a stack of two Goombas, it is possible to clip through the pot at the top and use the burning animation to gain enough height to reach the vegetable platforms floating within the pot.
The side of the volcano can be climbed as a Goomba or Goomba stack by repeatedly mashing the X or Y button; each press of the button resets the Goomba's run animation, preventing it from sliding down the volcano. However, this can only be done when the Goomba is already in its animation reset phase. This means that if the player stops mashing X or Y, the Goomba will switch from its animation reset phase back to its sliding state and begin to slide down the volcano, and pressing X or Y again will not recover the slide.
The Goomba will default to the sliding state whenever it lands on the side of the volcano, meaning the player cannot simply jump onto the volcano and immediately begin mashing X or Y. There are two ways to enter the animation reset phase from the sliding state in order to begin scaling the volcano:
- Whenever the Goomba is captured, it will default to its animation reset phase for a brief period. This means that if the player uncaptures and recaptures the Goomba, they can begin mashing X or Y after the capture in order to scale the volcano. Video of Recapture Method
- If the Goomba passes over a convex edge of the volcano, it will experience an "edge cancel", which cancels its sliding and causes it to briefly assume the animation reset phase. If the player mashes X or Y while the Goomba passes over a convex edge (the joystick must be neutral), the Goomba will return to chaining animation cancels and allow the player to climb the volcano. Video of Edge Cancel Method
Once the top of the volcano is reached, there is a certain spot where a stack of two Goombas can squeeze between the volcano and the pot, and if the player walks far enough, Mario will be forced out of the capture and can be guided to the top.
Captureless method[edit | edit source]
If one of these methods is used to reach the top, it is possible to clip through the pot using a skew clip in two-player mode. A two-player cap bounce is used to trigger an animation of Mario flipping over, and if Mario performs a fake throw immediately afterward, he will tilt and partially clip into the lower surface of the pot. During this tilt, Mario contacts a lava wall to take damage, which forces him upright and causes him to clip fully through the pot.
Execution[edit | edit source]
To successfully climb the volcano and clip into the pot to complete Meat Skip:
- First, ensure that Assist Mode is disabled. If it is enabled, Mario will be put into a bubble after clipping into the pot, instead of rising to the top.
- Before attempting the trick, one must acquire a Life-Up Heart, which is needed later in order to fully clip through the stew pot. One can be obtained relatively easily in the slots room in Peronza Plaza.
- If attempting the Goomba method:
- Assemble a stack of two Goombas. (Although the volcano can be climbed with a single Goomba, the clip into the pot will only work properly with a stack of two.) Two Goombas can be found near the Atop the Jutting Crag moon.
- Bring the Goombas over to the top of the wall that divides the Cheese Rocks area and Peronza Plaza. (To use the Goombas near Atop the Jutting Crag, the player must ensure there is a clear path up to this wall by clearing some of the Cheese Rocks using the Hammer Bros to form a staircase.)
- Perform two jumps as the Goombas in a row near the edge of the wall nearest the volcano, in order to launch the Goomba stack onto the side of it. For best results, the second jump should be a motion-controlled shake jump.
- Perform either the recapture or edge cancel method as described above to enter the animation reset phase, then continue to mash X or Y to climb up the volcano.
- At the top, continue to walk directly into the pot as the stack of Goombas. If done correctly, Mario will be forced out of the capture and will clip into the lava at the bottom of the pot. (There is no exact spot known to be truly consistent, so this part may take multiple attempts.)
- If attempting the captureless method:
- Ensure that two-player mode is enabled, since it will be necessary for clipping through the pot.
- Use turnip climbing, slopevaults, or dive cancels to scale the sloped exterior of the volcano. While doing this, unless using the slopevault method, avoid using up Mario's cap bounce since it will be needed at the top.
- Once Mario's head is touching the underside of the pot, perform a two-player cap bounce (but not out of a dive) so that Mario performs the animation of flipping over.
- Immediately after the cap bounce, input a fake throw, while spacing the moves so that Mario comes into contact with the invisible lava wall at the top of the volcano just after the fake throw. If performed correctly, Mario should clip through the pot.
- As Mario continues to rise due to taking damage, try to guide him so that he lands on top of one of the floating bits of food inside the pot. In order to prevent Mario from running straight off the platform back into the lava, one can either mash A/B and X/Y simultaneously, or simply let go of the joystick as Mario lands. Collect the Multi Moon to complete Meat Skip.
Use with Bruncheon[edit | edit source]
- See also: Bruncheon
Normally, the Multi Moon inside the stew pot only exists after the player completes the Under the Cheese Rocks story objective. However, if the player accesses the Luncheon Kingdom early using the Bruncheon trick, this Multi Moon can be collected before completing any of the story objectives.
This has implications for Minimum Captures World Peace, since in the early state of the kingdom, there is no prerequisite of collecting the Under the Cheese Rocks moon, which requires a Hammer Bro capture, to make the Multi Moon appear. In essence, using Bruncheon along with Meat Skip eliminates the Hammer Bro and meat captures, replacing them with a singular Goomba capture in single-player runs, or no captures at all in two-player runs.